5.31.2012

Disappearing Mushrooms


Yes, that’s right. I made this new stuffed mushroom recipe twice and both times, they were all gone before I could even take a picture of them for you. The ingredients aren’t all that unusual but the flavor combination is great.

Pecan Stuffed Mushrooms

16oz. fresh mushrooms – I often buy these individually so I can select ones that are large enough to stuff but not so gigantic they are difficult to eat. The smaller mushrooms just don’t hold enough stuffing and that simply becomes annoying, as the stuffing falls all over the place.

½ tsp. salt

2 shallots, minced

2 garlic cloves, minced

2 tbs. olive oil

1/2 c. parmesan cheese

1/3 c. panko bread crumbs (these crumbs are lighter than regular, but regular crumbs can be used)

¼ c. pecans, chopped (I use pecan halves and chop them myself so they are a bit larger pieces)

6 tsb. butter

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

The first thing you need to do is remove the mushroom stems, clean, chop and set aside. I believe mushroom caps need to be cooked in some way before stuffing or they just taste raw and their inherent moisture makes them too wet. The Barefoot Contessa sautés hers in Marsala wine. I tried a new idea where you salt and pepper the caps, then place them on a rack on a cookie sheet and bake them for 10 minutes – this got out all the moisture but they were so rubbery and tough and ugly you didn’t want to use them. My best method is to simply sauté them in a combo of olive oil and butter (a few tablespoons each) until they are getting soft and golden and pretty. Drain on paper towels and they are all set.

FOR THE STUFFING:

Sauté chopped stems, garlic, shallots and salt in a combo of 3 tsb. olive oil and 3 tsb. butter until tender. Add crumbs, cheese and pecans and stir to combine. If mixture is too wet, add a few more crumbs, and if it is too dry, add the remaining 3 tsb. butter until melted. Stuff the caps, place in baking pan (I use my pie pans) and bake at 350 for 10-15 minutes until golden. I promise, just like mine, yours will disappear.

No comments: