5.09.2012

Love You Forever, A Mother's Day Tribute

I am sure most of you out there have read the very beautiful and moving book Love You Forever by Robert Munsch. It was originally published in 1986 when my son was 9. I purchased one a number of years later and recently found it when I was pulling from storage many of the books I had kept from when my children were young. Andy and his family were coming for a visit and I wanted their son Jackson to be able to see his daddy’s childhood favorites as well as share it with Adrienne and her son when they visit in June.

I had forgotten what an emotional tale this was and I also discovered I had written Andy a note on every page reminding him how much I loved him like the mother in the book loved her son. To say I became tearful as I read the words I wrote 25 years ago is an understatement.

The story follows a baby boy from birth into his adult years when he has his own family. His mother goes into his room at night, and when she is sure he is asleep, she takes him from his bed and rocks him in her arms while she sings “I’ll love you forever, I’ll like you for always, as long as I’m living, my baby you’ll be.”

Throughout the book the author mentions all the funny stages little boys go through from the terrible twos, messy sports and the crazy teenage years. All through these stages, she still creeps into his room and sings him the song as he sleeps. Finally he is grown and married and she is elderly and ill and she calls him for help. He comes to see her, picks her up in his arms and sings the same song. When he returns home later that night, he picks up his own newborn child and sings her the same lyrics. I wish I could express how touching the story is. The illustrations by Sheila McGraw are lovely and add so much to each page.

My wonderful mother turned 87 in March and someday when she needs help all five of her beloved children will rush to be there. We all know how incredibly blessed we are to have had her this long and for her to be able to still live alone, drive, cook, attend meetings, go to lunch with her friends (by the way she LOVES the Olive Garden) and just be so healthy. Mom still says the funniest things, although often times she doesn’t mean to be funny. She gets all dressed up for appointments, has her hair done every Friday and for very special events gets a pedicure with “diamonds” glued onto her toes, with the polish always a bright, happy pink.

Very soon in early June, our family will all be celebrating the marriage of my niece, Stephanie to her husband-to-be Morgan. We will be traveling to Colorado for a great time and of course, Mom is coming. As this is a very special event, you can bet the pedicure is already scheduled and Mom’s suitcase is open on the guest room bed a month early all ready to be packed!

Happy Mother’s Day to all of you and especially to you Mom. We will all “love you forever.” If any of you have not read Love You Forever you must, because remember Becky Knows Everything!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Thanks for sharing this blog its very helpful to implement in our work


Regards

women clothing